Linkx Carton Closers come in a few different formats, for chocolate box type cartons we have the single flap folder with glue closure, the wraparound style board we have the three flap closure with glue closure.
For the RSC or Fefco 0201 style cases we have the centrefold case closer with either tape or glue closure or the random size machine in the same format, more suited to ecommerce and warehouse operations.
The random machine will take multiple sizes of RSC cases, fold and seal without the need for size changing.
All our carton Closing machines can be adapted to suit case size range.
Carton Sealing and Closing sometimes known as Case Sealers and Closers come in various shapes and sizes depending on carton design. This page relates specifically to the three flap Carton Closer designed to close pre-erected and loaded wraparound cases. Other forms of closing and sealing – such as Tape, Strap and Lid are covered at the bottom of this page.
Carton Closer – 3 Flap glue
The Linkx Carton Closer is designed to glue close pre-erected and loaded wraparound style cases. Use in conjunction with the Linkx Carton Erector and a conveyor system to create fully automatic line. Speeds of up to 40 cartons per minute can be achieved depending on carton size.
Flexibility and future proofing
The Linkx Carton Closer system design is modular to allow multiple variants with maximum flexibility. Start with the individual machines to erect and close, with manual packing then add in a conveyor system with vision system and robotic pick and place to create a fully automatic system.The machine frame and size are designed to suit your minimum and maximum carton sizes. Applications vary from production line applications to B2C single order dispatch from warehouses.
Easy Access, Small footprint, Low Maintenance
As with all Linkx machines they are designed to be as compact as possible, with easy access for operators. With servo controls throughout, changeover times are cut to a minimum, generally less than 5 minutes with one operator, with complete repeatability to ensure vertical start up. Machine speeds of up to 40 cartons per minute, depending on product being handled and size of carton. Our machines are designed with maintenance in mind and it is a priority to ensure that upkeep is simple, quick and easy.
The system is UK designed and built for 24/7 operating environments, with full diagnostic system and Ethernet connectivity for remote support as standard.
Features and Benefits
- Compact design for small footprint production environments.
- Low cost, high specification modular construction for future upgrades and specification changes.
- Hirel components from Rockwell / Siemens / Kuka partnership.
- Simple and quick size change facility for faster set up times.
- Simple, clear controls for ease of operator use and reduced downtime.
- Clear guard panels for ease of production monitoring and safety.
- Machine Speed: Up to 40 Cartons per minute
- Servo Actuation
- Easy & Quick size changes
- 3 gun hot melt system
- HMI panel with touch screen for ‘recipe information system’
- Table Top design
- Discharge conveyer
- Fully compatible with automatic carton erector and loader
- Rockwell / Siemens Controls
- Nordson / Preo or Melor Hot melt glue system
- Inline and right angle discharge
- Change part or adjustable forming tools
- On demand multiple size tray forming
- Automatic tray and carton Loading
- Robotic tray and carton erecting and loading
- Carton Styles: Wraparound or pizza style cartons
- Materials: Fibre board and fluted corrugate
- Fefco Styles: Typically 0406, 0442 styles.
- Speed: Up to 40 Cartons per minute
- Standard Carton In feed height: 900mm
- Standard Carton Out feed height: 400mm
- Sample Power Consumption: 11Kw
- Air Supply: 5.5bar, 1/2″ BSP connection
- Net Weight: 500Kg
- Specific Components: Rockwell/Siemens Controls
- Colour: RAL 7035 Grey
Carton Closer and Case Closing Variants
Where preferable, sealing a case can be done effectively by closing the required flaps and retaining them with self adhesive tape. The process is very quick and completely repeatable with the ability to seal cases of almost any size. The carton closing machines which do this are suitable for manual packing lines or fully automatic systems with automatic product loading.
When a Carton or Case is formed, there is the need for sealing. In some instances, usually preference dependable, a Hot-Melt Glue Sealer may be used for a strong and reliable seal to the box. It is a process which involves 4 spreading valves to apply the hot melt glue on to the top or bottom flaps before pressure is applied to ensure a fast joint. Regulating temperature and the volume of the glue will ensure that sealing is as effective as possible whilst not wasting resources. A Pre-Heating timer ensures that the glue is at the requisite temperature before the sealing process begins.
Where a case is constructed from heavyweight board, perhaps to contain a heavy product or for added protection, very often plastic or steel straps are used to keep the case closed because adhesive tape is not sufficient. Sometimes, even the memory in the board will render the tape inoperative. Straps may also be used with common weight cases simply for added security and pilfer-proofing.
In instances where the original case has been cut and re-creased to reduce its volume, the flaps may actually overlap and while tape will partially hold these closed, straps certainly will.
Where a case has been formed primarily as a high walled tray, it will need closing with some form of lid. In almost all instances, the lid will take the form of an inverted tray, sometimes shallow and sometimes to the full case depth. Both will benefit from being strapped together as one piece. The lid will essentially be made from a tray blank and may be hand erected with lock in tabs or by machine and hot melt glued. Either type can be automatically placed on the top of the case or by hand prior to strapping.
There are occasions where two identical trays are used to form the final pack. Both can be formed by the same erecting machine and then fed to a manual station or into an automatic system for loading and finishing.